[gpfsug-discuss] Copying ACLs between filesystems

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Sep 28 12:30:11 BST 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 12:06 +0100, Orlando Richards wrote:
> On 28/09/12 11:28, Barry Evans wrote:
> > Just tried rsync -A (preserve acl's) on this end, no joy there either.
> > two filesystems, same machine.
> >
> > sounds very, very evil but have you tried robocopy from one share to
> > another? Not ideal.
>
> I've considered it - but not yet desperate enough to try it :)

When I have tried doing this from Windows file servers the results where
not nice as Windows has ACL's for things like administrators etc. that
robocopy attempted to copy over. It was also painfully slow. I found
xcopy was a lot faster, though as my source was a Windows server the
resultant ACL's were still borked.

> Still looking for something sane.

Would AFM not do the trick?

> Good to see I'm not just missing something blatantly obvious though!

What's your coding like? Depending how often you are going to be
attempting this I would fix the IBM patches for rsync so they work on a
modern version of rsync. Patch does not look to complicated to me.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.