[gpfsug-discuss] Quick hand count of GPFS + TSM users

Orlando Richards orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 15:49:45 BST 2012

On 13/09/12 15:42, Jez Tucker wrote:
> Hello there
>
>    Of the membership, who of you [or your companies] use TSM with GPFS?

I do (University of Edinburgh)

> If you do:
>
> 1)Do you use Windows or Linux TSM?

Linux - although we're about to trial Windows server backups (not GPFS).

> 2)Do you use HSM (Linux: TSM Space Management, Windows: TSM HSM)?

Not yet - but about to trial this too! We're thinking of re-doing how we
do disaster recovery, along the lines of rsync'ing a candidate list to
an off-site HSM filesystem (as opposed to "dsmc incr")

> 3)Do you use TSM in the traditional mode for backup/archive, or pass a
> filelist generated by GPFS?

GPFS file list - not using mmbackup though, our own custom stuff instead
(mmbackup wasn't stable at our scale when we started doing this).

> If you do not use TSM:
>
> 4)What backup / HSM software do you use?

We used to use EMC Networker. It couldn't keep up, so we jumped ship.