[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Evaluation List - Please give some comments

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 31 00:39:32 BST 2012

Grace Tsai wrote:

I am not sure who dreamed up this list but I will use two of the points
to illustrate why it is bizarre.

[SNIP]

> 5. Nesting groups within groups is permitted.

Has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any file system under Linux
that I am aware of. So for example traditionally under Linux you don't
have nested groups. However if you are running against Active Directory
with winbind you can. This is however independent of any file system you
are running.

[SNIP]

> 35. Consideration given to number of metadata servers required to
> support overall service, and how that affects HA, i.e.,
>      must be able to support HA on a per namespace basis . (How many MD
> servers would we need to keep file service running?)

This for example would suggest that whoever drew up the list has a
particular idea about how clustered file systems work that simply does
not apply to GPFS; there are no metadata servers in GPFS

There are lots of other points that just don't make sense to me as a
storage administrator.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                      Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences