[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS magic options for Samba

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 9 16:47:25 BST 2012

Not documented, but I believe there are four ;-)

    allowSambaCaseInsensitiveLookup
    syncSambaMetadataOps
    cifsBypassShareLocksOnRename
    cifsBypassTraversalChecking

 From what I can determine they are binary on/off options. For example
you enable the first with

     mmchconfig allowSambaCaseInsensitiveLookup=yes

I am guessing but I would imagine when the first is turned on, then when
Samba tries to lookup a filename GPFS will do the case insensitive
matching for you, which should be faster than Samba having to do it. You
should obviously have case sensitive = no in your Samba config as well.

The cifsBypassTraversalChecking is explained in the SONAS manual page
for chcfg, and I note it is on by default in SONAS.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/sonasic/sonas1ic/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.sonas.doc%2Fmanpages%2Fchcfg.html

Some Googling indicates that NetApp and EMC have options for bypass
traverse checking on their filers, so something you probably want to
turn on.

The other two sound fairly self explanatory, but the question is why
would you want them turned on. Any one any ideas?

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard             Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences