[gpfsug-discuss] TSM 6.x + Space Management + GPFS 3.4.xx (all linux) ... try again

Jez Tucker Jez.Tucker at rushes.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 18:28:34 GMT 2012

Yup.

We're running svr 6.2.2-30 and BA/HSM 6.2.4-1, GPFS 3.4.0-10 on RH Ent 5.4 x64
At the moment, we're running migration policies 'auto-manually' via a script which checks if it needs to be run as the THRESHOLDs are not working.
We've noticed the behaviour/stability of thresholds change each release from 3.4.0-8 onwards.  3.4.0-5 worked, but we jumped to .8 as we were told DMAPI for Windows was available [but undocumented],  alas not.

I had a previous PMR with support who told me to set:
enableLowSpaceEvents=no
-z=yes on our filesystem(s)

Our tsm server has the correct callback setup:

[root at tsm01 ~]# mmlscallback
DISKSPACE
        command       = /usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmstartpolicy
        event         = lowDiskSpace,noDiskSpace
        node          = tsm01.rushesfx.co.uk
        parms         = %eventName %fsName

N.B. I set the node just to be tsm01 as other nodes do not have HSM installed, hence if the callback occurred on those nodes, they'd run mmstartpolicy which would run dsmmigrate which is not installed on those nodes.

tsm01 is currently setup as a manager-gateway node (very good for archiving up Isilons over NFS...)
mmlscluster
<snip>
  3   tsm01.rushesfx.co.uk        10.100.106.50    tsm01.rushesfx.co.uk        manager-gateway

>From my testing:

I can fill a test file system and receive the noDiskSpace callback, but not the lowDiskSpace.
This is probably related to the enableLowSpaceEvents=no, but support told me to disable that...

FYI. Follow PMRs #31788,999,866 and 67619,999,866

Jez