[gpfsug-discuss] NTP leap-second can take out GPFS server - it just has

Barry Evans bevans at canditmedia.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 22:25:02 BST 2012

This has so far hit all almost all of the places I work with (not so much GPFS crashing, but certainly storage manager going bezerk) - the majority of them do not use public NTP servers. In most cases no one actually noticed until it was pointed out, well worth a quick 'top' of your storage servers if you're using Engenio/LSI/NetApp based units (ie, DS3/4/5000).

The fix is here: http://blog.wpkg.org/2012/07/01/java-leap-second-bug-30-june-1-july-2012-fix/

But of course I wouldn't mess with the time in production unless you've got GPFS shutdown first.

Cheers,