[gpfsug-discuss] Andrew Downes intro

Andrew Downes1 ANDREWD at uk.ibm.com
Fri Feb 17 10:30:47 GMT 2012

Hi all, I'm Andrew Downes, a 12-year IBMer who joined from Sequent and was
therefore configuring SANs for my clients before they were called SANs...
they were fibre-channel networks based on Brocade Silkworm 2000s, don't
you just love marketing?

I've been aware of GPFS capability since I started configuring RS/6000 SP
frames, but I've not felt much client pull in the industry segments I've
worked until the recent explosion of unstructured data in all industries.

My current job title is systems architect and as such I've recently come
across several clients who are crying out for a cluster file system that's
capable of running natively on the application server and/or migrating
data to tape when not in use. Many of these clients would never think of
IBM as a storage solutions company. Marketing again, grrr.

So, I'm here to absorb what others are doing, become part of the community
if you'll generously permit, and offer what experience I have of designing
solutions.

I live in Maidenhead, I'm married and have two lovely little girls which
given that you know I work and would assume that I sleep (not enough)
tells you most of what there is currently to know about me... hopefully
I'll rediscover hobbies as the girls grow up, some have suggested my
weekend diary may start to free up around the year 2030. So my objective
is still to be fit enough then to go back to rowing on the Thames and
cycling in the Chilterns ;-) Currently I am enjoying Lego (Duplo), so
maybe that will suit my fitness levels better, but I'm also determined one
of the girls will like Scalextric!

I look forward to meeting most of you over time.

Regards, Andrew

Andrew Downes MBCS CITP,
South Territory, IBM U.K.,
External Telephone: 07764 664439 (mob)
Internal IBM Telephone: 37 276649 (VOIP mobex)
mailto:andrewd at uk.ibm.com (use same ID for Windows Live Messenger)
Postal address: NH3W, PO Box 32, Normandy House, Bunnian Place,
Basingstoke, RG21 7EJ

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.