[gpfsug-discuss] Upgrade path

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 11:24:42 BST 2012

Hello,

 I'm currently looking after a GPFS setup with six nodes and about 80TB disk. The current GPFS level is 3.4.0 and I'm looking to upgrade it. The (vague) plan is to do a rolling upgrade of the various nodes working through them one at a time leaving the cluster manager node until last then doing a failover of that role to another node and then upgrading the last host.

 Is there a standard upgrade methodology for GPFS systems or any tricks, tips or traps to know about before I go ahead with this?

Also is it 'safe' assume that I could upgrade straight from 3.4.0 to 3.5.x or are there any intermediary steps that need to be performed as well?

Any help or advice appreciated,
Steff Watkins

-----
Steff Watkins                   Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London,SW7 5BD
Systems programmer               Email: s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Systems Team                     Phone: +44 (0)20 7942 6000 opt 2
========
"Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans." - HHGTTG