[gpfsug-discuss] A GPFS newbie

Robert Esnouf robert at strubi.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 12:09:31 BST 2012

Dear GPFS users,

Please excuse what is possibly a naive question from a not-yet
GPFS admin. We are seriously considering GPFS to provide
storage for our compute clusters. We are probably looking at
about 600-900TB served into 2000+ Linux cores over InfiniBand.
DDN SFA10K and SFA12K seem like good fits. Our domain-specific
need is high I/O rates from multiple readers (100-1000) all
accessing parts of the same set of 1000-5000 large files
(typically 30GB BAM files, for those in the know). We could
easily sustain read rates of 5-10GB/s or more if the system
would cope.

My question is how should we go about configuring the number
and specifications of the NSDs? Are there any good rules of
thumb? And are there any folk out there using GPFS for high
I/O rates like this in a similar setup who would be happy to
have their brains/experiences picked?

Thanks in advance and best wishes,
Robert Esnouf

--