[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 3.5 Announcement

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 19:27:24 BST 2012

Arif Ali wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
> I have (with help from Barry) found that 3.5 also have .deb packages
> available.
>
> Well, I delved in, and tried installing them on my laptop, to see if it
> would compile.
>
> 3 things come from my experience so far
>
> 1. The compilation detects my machine as debian, in-fact it is Ubuntu,
> so the testing in the configure needs to change such that it checks for
> lsb-release before the debian_version in /etc. But in the meantime "make
> LINUX_DISTRIBUTION=UBUNTU_LINUX Autoconfig" does the job, i.e after
> copying config/env.mcr.sample to config/env.mcr
>
> 2. At the moment with 3.5.0-1, the compilation does not succeed on
> 11.10. Is there any documentation out there that shows which flavours of
> Ubuntu/Debian are in-fact supported. I will try it on an older karmic
> test machine that I have already, and see how far I get.

Yes the updated FAQ says that Debian 6 (aka squeeze) is the only
supported version, so you are out of luck with Ubuntu.

The FAQ also says that 3.5.0-1 supports mounting DMAPI enabled file
systems on Windows, and gives contradictory information on 3.40-13 being
able to do the same.

Another gotya is that 3.5 only supports the TSM 6.3 client for backup,
so if like us you have yet to upgrade your servers past 5.5.x you cannot
upgrade :-(

I will also add that if you download the latest vfs_gpfs from git it has
patches to report disk sizes bases on quotas, in particular fileset quotas.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                      Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences